At Oates Metal Deck and Building Products Inc., we know that the structural integrity of the roof is one of the most important parts of any building, which is why we exclusively stock and distribute roof deck produced by manufacturers who are members of the Steel Deck Institute (SDI). By only supplying SDI Approved roof deck, our customers know that the roof deck called for by the engineer is the roof deck they will be installing. Our team of roof deck experts is dedicated to working with customers to find the best, approved solutions for any roof decking needs.
Types of Metal Roof Deck Available from Oates Metal Decks
Most commonly used in commercial and industrial buildings, steel roof deck panels are one of the most cost-efficient roofing systems. The added structural strength the metal roof deck offers combined with its light-weight nature makes steel roof deck systems the best choice when compared to other roofing systems such as wood or concrete. Metal roof deck is used for a flat or low-sloped roof.
Components of A Metal Roof
A metal roof deck is only one component of a three-part roofing system.
Metal Roof Deck
When constructing commercial or multi-story buildings, a metal roof deck is often used to form a solid, permanent platform. This deck is installed directly on top of the structural roof steel beams, trusses, or open web joists, without the need for shoring. The purpose of the metal roof deck is to span between these roof supports, creating a stable base for the rest of the roofing system.
To help regulate the temperature inside the building, rigid board insulation is installed over the metal deck. This insulation provides a barrier that helps to keep the building cool in the summer and warm in the winter..
Weather Protectant Layer
Finally, a weather protectant layer is installed on top of the rigid board insulation. Types of protectant layers include Thermoplastic Single-Ply Membrane Roofing (PVC & TPO), Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer Roofing (EPDM), Modified Bitumen Roofing (MB), and Built-up roofing (BUR). This part of the roof system provides an added layer of protection for the building, ensuring that it remains safe and secure for years to come.
Here’s an overview of the features of a 1.5” Type B roof deck:
- The profile consists of alternating 1.5-inch high ribs and valleys that run the length of the panel.
- The wide ribs are spaced 6 inches apart and provide stiffness and support to the deck.
- It is often used in applications where high strength and durability are required, such as in warehouses, factories, and other industrial buildings.
- The Type B deck is available in a range of gauges, or thicknesses, to meet the specific needs of the building. The available gauges are available in 22GA, 20GA, and 18GA varieties.
- 36” coverage width.
Here are some features of 1″ roof deck Type E:
- The roof deck is made of cold-formed steel.
- It has a ribbed profile that consists of alternating 1-inch high ribs and valleys that run the length of the panel.
- The ribs are spaced 6 inches apart and provide stiffness and support to the deck.
- It is typically installed over steel beams, joists, or purlins for flat, sloped, or curved roofs.
- It is often used in applications where a lightweight, cost-effective roof deck is required, such as in low-rise commercial buildings.
- The Type E designation refers to the structural performance of the roof deck, meaning it can support relatively light loads.
- The roof deck is available in a range of gauges, or thicknesses, to meet the specific needs of the building, such as our available 22GA.
- 36” coverage width
Here are some features of 3″ roof deck Type N or NW:
- The roof deck is made of galvanized steel.
- It has a ribbed profile that consists of alternating 3-inch high ribs and valleys that run the length of the panel.
- The ribs are spaced 8 inches apart and provide stiffness and support to the deck.
- It is often used in applications where high strength and durability are required, such as in industrial buildings with heavy loads or long spans.
- The Type N or NW designation refers to the structural performance of the roof deck which means it can support relatively heavy loads.
- The roof deck is available in a range of gauges, or thicknesses, to meet the specific needs of the building, such as our available 18GA and 20GA.
- 24” Coverage Width for Type N // 32” Coverage Width for Type NW.
Benefits of Oates Metal Roof Decks
The steel roof deck products we supply are manufactured by members of the Steel Deck Institute (SDI). We understand that time is money, which is why we offer fast and reliable delivery to ensure that your project stays on track.
Some of the many benefits of choosing Oats Metal Decks as your roofing material supplier are:
- Excellent customer service
- Superior lead times
- Shipment capabilities to all US states
- Customized orders
- Organized logistics delivery